What if I die?

If you die while a contributing member of the Scheme, the following may be payable:

  • A life assurance lump sum;
  • A pension for a spouse, civil partner or other financial dependant; and 
  • Allowances for any eligible children 

You can find out more in the Member Guide

Don’t forget to keep your Nomination Forms up to date!

The Trustee has discretion over who receives any lump sum benefits payable. This means that they are generally exempt from inheritance tax. So that the Trustee knows who you would like to receive any lump sum, you need to complete a Nomination for Lump Sum Life Assurance Benefit Form. If you haven’t completed a form recently, or your wishes change, make sure you submit a new form. This will help the Trustee to consider your wishes and make any decisions regarding lump sum benefits. Please note that although the Trustee will take your wishes into account, it is not legally obliged to follow them.

If you are not married or in a civil partnership, or have other financial dependants, you may also wish to complete a Nomination for Dependant’s Pension Benefit Form. This will let the Trustee know of any financial dependant that you would like to receive a dependant’s pension in the event of your death. The Trustee has the final say in who receives any dependant’s pension payable, and will use your form to help them make their decision.